Main Menu

Can a single person rig a VX ONE?

Started by ARGONAUT, July 16, 2015, 10:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARGONAUT

Hello All,
I'm very interest in the class and would like to know if the boat can be rigged by myself or do you need two?
Thanks!

Jay Harrell

Someone tall enough and strong enough to lift the mast could do it alone, but it's much easier with two.  I think Brian can do it, but I can't. The mast has to be lifted to vertical, then lifted up about 18 inches and set down into the partners.  At that point it will stand up by itself while you attach the shrouds.

kpike

In a word, Yes.  I do it regularly.  I'm 63. 

The mast stepping requires some practice to get comfortable with the technique. The mast weighs only 28 lbs but it is long. 
Rigging will take longer by yourself.  I plan an hour to go from driving up with the trailer to ready to launch or hoist.  In public it takes longer because sailors stop by to ask about the boat. 

If you need to install the keel (new boat) or remove the keel for repair, a second person is safer.

ARGONAUT

Thanks all! That is good to know. I was able to step My I-14 mast all by myself and it was much heaver then 28lbs.

ARGONAUT

Quote from: kpike52 on July 17, 2015, 09:30:33 AM
In a word, Yes.  I do it regularly.  I'm 63. 

The mast stepping requires some practice to get comfortable with the technique. The mast weighs only 28 lbs but it is long. 
Rigging will take longer by yourself.  I plan an hour to go from driving up with the trailer to ready to launch or hoist.  In public it takes longer because sailors stop by to ask about the boat. 

If you need to install the keel (new boat) or remove the keel for repair, a second person is safer.

kpike52, Question, Is there information anywhere on how to remove the keel?  I would think it would be a good idea to have two, One for racing and one for practice? Thanks!

kpike

I have not found any info on the keel installation either.   
The aluminum keel extrusion is retained in the hull by an aluminum top plate which is secured to the top of the keel by two stainless bolts.  A fiberglass bulb filled with lead is on the bottom of the keel.  Installation of the keel is accomplished with a hoist.  Hoist the hull up 5 ft,  remove the keel top plate,  move the keel under the hull, lower the hull while guiding the keel through the well.  Attach the the top plate.  I skipped a lot detail for the sake of brevity.  When you get your boat I can expand the detail.

The aluminum keel is very strong and I keep finding submerged ground tackle with it which results in damage to the kelp cutter slot on the leading edge.  I do not think a back up keel is required.  The keel support box structure in the hull is very robust.  There are thick plastic blocks adjacent to the leading edge and trailing edge which help absorb force during contact with stationary objects, like planet earth.

ARGONAUT

Rod Favela

Hey Jack,

Even though I like the help of someone else, yes you can step the mast and rig the boat by yourself.

Brian Bennett can tell you step-by-step how he does it.

Cheers,

Rod

ARGONAUT

Hello Rod,

Thanks for the post.

I'm working with Brian on getting a new XV One, soon.

Cant wait to help get some exposure for the class in Southern California.

Cheers!

Jack

kpike

Where are you in So Cal?  I'm in Nor Cal, its not that far to travel down.

ARGONAUT

Hello Kpike,

I'm in Huntington Beach.

Looking at storing the Boat in Alamitos bay or Cabrillo Beach in the Long Beach/San Pedro area.

Want to take the Boat to SF bay and Santa Cruz. Maybe looking at The High Sierra Regatta, racing in Keel boat PHRF?

I will give you a call when I receive my boat,

Cheers,

Jack