Main Menu

Rig Tuning

Started by Brad, August 06, 2012, 12:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Finally got to sail the boat last week, had to borrow sails from Rod Favela (thanks Rod).  I set the caps at 300# and diagonals at 250# using the middle (1/8") scale on a black PT-1 Loos gage.  Seemed to work fine for wind around 10 knots.  Had them set at 390 cap and 300 diagonal in wind estimated to be about 15 knots with higher gusts and had slack in the lee cap stay.

If someone could give me PT-1 numbers in 5 knot increments from 10 to 30 knots I'd appreciate it, I'm used to the Flying Scot set it and forget it rig tune.

Thanks,
Brad

davidreich

I have been using a gauge but I am beginning to like the MOJO method. That is set the shrouds for hand tight and make sure they are all the same using inside calipers. Then go out and sail. In 8-10 its with 400lbs of crew you should take 4 turns on the uppers and 2 on the lowers. This should get the shrouds just barely tight. Then up or down from there depending on the breeze keeping the lowers always 1/2 the number of turns as the uppers - up or down. Donnie swears by so I am giving it a try.
One thing that will be import though going forward is if we talk numbers, we should all talk in the same increments (i.e.: kgs or lbs) I prefer kgs.

davidreich

Brian,
This would be a good place to put together some of the rig tuning points you have been using to kick our butts. Come clean!
D

davidreich

Brian - how about a quick pitch on rig tuning here?!? :-) Thanks!

bbennett

Hi team,

I have put together a 2 page guide attached here. If you have specific questions as we go along please drop me a line. If you are coming to Wadewitz, we will be on hand should you need specific tuning help.

Brian

davidreich

This is a GREAT intro to finding the base setup and a simple approach to tuning that many will find useful and new comers will feel quite comfortable with. Thank you and looking forward to more support in this area from you and all those sailing the VX. Remember, we are class that wants to build on what we know by sharing what we learn. Thanks!!

davidreich

Brian,
I just notice int he tuning guide that you mention using the Loos PT-2. With the rigging being 3.5mm, I think the recommended model would be the PT-1(M) the M is for the metric version.
David

Brad

I emailed Loos and asked if both  the PT-1 and PT-1(M) would give the same spring scale reading when measuring tension on the same cable and was told they would.  Since I have a PT-1 and don't want to buy the metric version then have to interpolate to get values for 3.5mm cable I'd prefer using direct spring scale readings in our discussions.

On the other hand, adjusting tension for the 2.5 to 3"  prebend may be as accurate as using the Loos gauge so I may just do that and forget the gauge.

rheausler

Does anyone have a tuning guide for intensity sails?

kpike

New link to tuning and weight balance notes from the 2015 VX Nationals champion, M. Eagan. http://vxone.org/na/2015/10/vx-one-tuning-by-marcus-eagan-usa-177-cajun-underwriting/. Definitely worth a look.