Main Menu

Singlehanded?

Started by Blofeld, June 08, 2016, 06:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blofeld

Can a single person sail a VX One (at least in light to moderate conditions)? I'm asking because I'm interested in the boat but probably won't have a sailing partner at hand every time.

Jay Harrell

The self-tacking jib makes the VX pretty easy to single-hand, and there is a smaller mainsail available that would also help. If you're going to run the spinnaker downwind, then you'll probably want the optional mainsheet cleat as well.

Blofeld

What would you say is the wind Limit for one? And Is there a trapeze option als well?

kpike

I single hand my VX a lot.  Roll up the jib and you are good to 12 upwind.  I also use a RAD main which is smaller.  Good to 15.  You can add a set of reef points to a standard main instead of the RAD.  More important though is adding a main sheet cleat and a 2hp outboard or electric motor.  My cleat is on the boom.   Motoring up to or away from the dock is better control in gusty conditions.  I tried a trapeze but did not like it and took it off.  Off the wind you can fly with the kite up. 

eulereit

re: kpike

Can you launch and recover by yourself?

kpike

Yes I launch and recover single handed.  The addition of guides to the rear of the trailer are recommended.  I posted a picture of the guides in tips & techniques.