Main Menu

Breaking the mast down?

Started by USA160, July 08, 2019, 05:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USA160

Hello all,

Some folks are telling me that they not putting the rivet in the mast to allow it to fold in half during transport. This makes total sense. My question is, how do you keep the mast from twisting? Do you put a pin in it and put tape in place? Do you put a screw in? Please advise...

Bill Wiggins
Sailing Inc Charleston
Evolution Sails

O: 800-450-7245 ext. 3001
M: 803-354-6973
E: bill.wiggins@thesailinginc.com
S: williamwiggins
www.thesailinginc.com

admin

My mast has a screw where the rivet would be. That said, I've never actually taken it apart.

Paul Murphy Annapolis

This year I've started breaking my mast into two pieces. Really easy, just remove a wood screw.
Primary reason I tried this is I didn't want my mast exposed when it was in storage & also trying to minimize damage when trailering.

Key point is: When folding mast in two, and when unfolding----make sure not to twist sections--otherwise halyards could twist. Similar to folding your forearm back towards your bicep.

It's nice to have mast safely tucked inside the cockpit & not exposed to potential clipping in a parking lot.

Nathan Batchelor

On some masts we (Ovington Boats) have supplied in Europe, we've put a machine screw in and tapped the mast with a dye to put a thread in.