Main Menu

Jib Trim

Started by jjones, April 01, 2014, 09:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjones

What does everyone do with their jib?

In heavy air we 2-block the jib and lower the car.  Full hike we're probably 4 - 6 " from full drop but as it gets into serious depower mode we drop the car all the way and foot.  That seems to work pretty well for us because the jib is really flat and the slot is open.   AS it gets light we bring the car up but I've never had it much farther than half way to the mast. 

In chop and moderate to light air we've taken the sheet to the top hole on the jib board, pulled the car up and eased the jib a bit.  Seems to help put a little punch in the sail? 

Does any of this sound familiar to you guys who've been racing in fleets? 

davidreich

Probably not too far from you as far as heavy air with dropping the car all the way down with the sheet on the bottom, or next to bottom, hole on the clew board - driving off the jib. Your "lumpy" setting is interesting. I think some of this is going to depend on the cut jib one is using as they seem to vary pretty much from mfg to mfg. I also think the jib will setup different based on the mast tune. In light stuff we sail with the car pretty high probably about 6 degress off CL with the sheet eased for twist and footing for speed build and sheeting when up to speed or having to stay up for a lane or the such.

All that being said, I have marked the jib traveler using degrees from CL. Smuggling this from the Smuggler himself, I think this provides a baseline for us all to develop some settings - especially for the sailmakers. It seems as though everyone is using scale stickers and they all vary. Thats definitely not taking us anywhere. I can share my dimensions for the degrees from CL as soon as I scan the page and post it.

jjones

Very good idea with the degree markings.

Q Ball

For what it's worth, here is a photo of Brian and Hayden's upwind set-up at HPDO last year in 20+ knts and 3 ft waves...  Jib clew bottom hole and traveler all the way down.  Another resource if you haven't seen it -- North Sails put together a VX One Sail Trim doc from 2013 NAs. Link is here:
http://www.onedesign.com/Portals/106/docs/VX%20One%20Sail%20Trim-2013Nas.pdf

On my boat, we've been using scale stickers as well so we can try to repeat settings as needed. In light air, our jib car is pretty high as well. (Still trying to figure out heavy air upwind...)  Agree that degree markings are a good idea!

davidreich

Here are the numbers for degrees off CL for the jib track. And a pic of my boat set up with numbers.

J Blass

I just made a set of index numbers on the back of the track housing that correlate with the screws that attach the track for reference. The actual degree off centerline ought to help the sailmakers, but the screw holes might be a quick and common reference between boats.

davidreich

The degrees off CL are all the same from boat to boat. Not 100% sure the screw holes are. #mathishard

jjones

Thank you David. 

If everyone going to the NA's would mark the deg's it would be an excellent talking point for post-race debrief.