Main Menu

Atlantic Cup

Started by Q Ball, May 27, 2013, 10:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q Ball

New VX owner here (USA 142, now 4 days old) and just though I'd post a link to results from the Atlantic Cup. (By the way, scoring gave high points to the first finisher and low points to last across the line):
http://atlanticcup.org/vx-one-results/

Actually had my first sail on the boat on the way to Race 1 (!)   Saturday had cool temps and some rain but overall a great day with 8 boats getting in 4 races. Highlights (for me) included:

-being able to share the race course with the very impressive Class 40's
-being able to line up next to truly top level sailors racing the VX out there
-very cool race format. Race instructions included a map of Newport harbor with 11 government and drop in marks, as well as 20 possible race course options (8 of which were slightly shorter and more likely to be selected for VX racing.)  About 10 minutes or so before a start, race radio would announce which course we were racing, and we'd pull out the map to see where we were headed. Race 1 was an upwind start with tide a factor.  Race 2 was a reaching start where half the fleet decided to start with the kite up and half did not.  Race 3 was another upwind start to above Newport Bridge and then a downwind finish (I think.)  Race 4 was another reaching start past an enormous anchored cruise ship and wind strengthening enough to put a few boats on their side (including us.)  Definitely a lot of fun compared to a series of W/L's.  Our velocitek recorded 17 knots max for the day. 

We woke up Sunday to even cooler temps (below 50) and consistent 18 knots with gusts to 25+.  Dry suits would have been good to have but the plug was pulled on more VX racing (definitely cold.)  Then had a very useful debrief with BB and the top guys from Saturday, and a few VX's headed out on their own (faster than Saturday.) 

Thanks to everyone for a great regatta and in particular Fleet 5 Captain Tim Pitts for a ton of help getting my boat set-up!