Main Menu

Spinnaker lines setup

Started by trend.ab, August 11, 2016, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trend.ab

Being a new owner, I asked Hayden what setup he would recommend for the spinnaker halyard/retrieval lines and for the sheets. Here's his answer:

As for the kite set up. When you get the tapered gear you will see that the halyard (yellow line) has a long taper (6m) and a short taper (3m). The long taper is for the halyard as it is to reduce windage and friction on the hoist. The short end is the retrieval. This is set so when rigging the kite on STB the line passes under the foot,  thru the grommet in the center of the sail, then you put the black stopper ball on the line.

Next you have a soft shackle and tag line. The tag line is fixed to the puller patch on the sail roughly 1.5m above the grommet. Then use the soft shake to join the 2 lines, making it so the knot of the shackle is in the stopper ball. This is to prevent it from snagging on any obstructions.

The same goes for the head of the sail. When attaching the head to the halyard, place the knot of the soft shackle in the grommet of the head and using tape on the middle of the shackle make 2-3 raps around.  This is to stop the knot from getting pulled into the rig and possibly creating a dousing issue at the bottom mark. 

In regards to the spin sheets. Rig as normal thru the blocks until it come time to attach to clew. Here take the second provided tag line and link the 2 ends of the sheets together and using the last shackle, attach the other end to the webbing in the clew.  Then go have fun!!

kpike

The only difference for my setup is I have a ball on the halyard to stop the soft shackle from being sucked into the mast.

trend.ab

Thanks - yes, I put a ball there, too, taking up the knot of the shackle.