Main Menu

Best way to put keel bolts in

Started by trend.ab, August 11, 2016, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trend.ab

I noticed that putting the keel bolts in is not totally straightforward - here's what Hayden wrote to me on that question:

To fasten the keel. First thing is to ease the center 2 bolts about a 1/4-1/2 turn (should only need to do this if top plate has been removed). Then push down on the front of the top plate and start the forward bolt first. Make sure you do about 2-3 turns by hand to ensure you are not cross threaded. You can use the lifting tackle to push the keel forward with your shoulder if bolt still isn't lining up. But once you have the front half way down. Insert the aft bolt and you should be set.

Paul Murphy Annapolis

I understand our suppliers such as Intensity, Vela, APS and Bennett wouldn't be stocking these.
But class website should have the size listed so easy to buy from McMasters, etc, etc.

Thank you,

Axel

We use to sling the keel lifting tackle around the mast next to the step. Than hook both ends to the pad eye and pull the keel plate towards the perfect position.
I'm a bit disappointed by the effort you must put to these two bults regarding that everything else on the VX runs that smooth.
Cheers
Axel

Lizka

Maybe this picture would help anyone else...